Friday, March 16, 2007

But You Know

Things change. It's true.
People change. Time alters life.
That can't be helped. I understand.
I want to say it doesn't bother me.
But it does. You have to know that.
Just because I haven't said anything,
Doesn't mean I've already stopped caring.
I just had to let you go.
Sort of. In a way. Not really.

I don't want to stand in your way.
Make you feel like a prisoner.
Like you can't get out from under me.
I love you too much for that.
I just love you. It's always been that way.
No matter what happens.
No matter who else you love. I know.
I know in my heart that you think of me.
Kind of. In passing. Maybe not.

I always knew my love was impossible.
But it has always been real for you.
I've always loved you. Unconditionally.
I loved you before I knew you existed.
I'll love you when you are a faint whisper in my ear.
The faltering beat of my heart.
I'll love you in spite of everything.
Even as I write and say I'm over it. I'm not.
Because you know. I'll always love you.

©2007 drd

No comments: